Avoiding or Elimenating Some of the Major Electric and Magnetic Fields Within Your Home and Bedroom
Each of us spends about one third of our lives in one small area–the bedroom–where we sleep, where we sometime work and where we often have our sacred space for meditation or relaxation. It is most important that this area be kept as a healthy space. These tips also apply if your work area is limited. Since each person’s long-term sensitivity to electrical and magnetic fields may vary, depending on genetic, immune system, stress, environmental and dietary factors, these are just guidelines. In general, to date, there seems to be tendencies for sensitivities to develop quicker in persons who have weak immune systems from chronic illnesses, allergies or multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS).
Research programs are finally beginning to investigate the unwanted raw magnetic current signals and electric field variations associated with equipment, wiring and metal pipes in homes and businesses. These signal and intensity variations are caused by transient spikes & switching surges most often generated in your home wiring when you switch a light or appliance on and off or when some piece of equipment turns on and off automatically. These spikes, surges and high currents may also be on your metal water pipes as generated in your home oron connecting pipes from your neighborís home. Interest is being focused on the sharp pulse repetition rates (how many times per second), and what other frequencies or waveforms are present besides the normal 60 cycle per second (60 Hz) power line frequency. Information about the length of exposure time (especially at night), the electromagnetic field (EMF) intensity [called milliGauss (mG)], and the interactions with people and other living creatures is now being gathered. We are becoming more aware in recent months of the sensitivity of various life forms to the magnetic and electric components of electro-magnetic fields (EMFs) via their sensory system reactions, immune system effects, allergy reactions, etc. So it is not simply 60 Hz magnetic field strength that determines whether or not a given EMF will have biological effects. Undesirable transients in the home or business will vary, depending on what is switching on and off, how often, how long and when (day or night, weekdays or weekends). Five recent epidemiological studies in the United States and. Sweden have shown weak, but consistent, cancer correlations with proximity to transformers, the local wiring code and the number of appliances in the home. Because a specific subject EMF sensitivity profile has not been developed yet, it is likely that the weak epidemiological results were diluted by the overall test population age and locations selected, and the variability in human immune system response to irritating stimuli.
Hot Tips For The Bedroom: You may obtain more restful sleep in your bedroom by eliminating all electrical devices and wiring in the immediate area. If it is not possible to cut off all electrical service to the bedroom at the breaker/fuse box, then at least practice ‘prudent avoidance’ by removing, unplugging (the best option, if circuit breakers not handy) or moving back at least 4 feet from your bed, all electrical devices and wiring in your bedroom. This includes: digital clocks, electric blankets, water bed heaters, heating pads, little transformers plugged into wall for telephone answer machines and lights such as fluorescent, halogen, and high-intensity reading lights. Lamps of metal body construction should not be used for bed lamps. Regular incandescent lamps are best and the lamp bodies should be totally made of wood, glass or ceramic–no external metal except the tube going thru middle of lamp to bulb socket and this should be grounded with a three wire plug. Keep all lamp wiring as far from your body as possible where you sleep. And preferably use a wide/deep bookcase headboard on the bed to get away from wiring in the wall.
Best to cut off circuit breakers or remove fuses to bedroom just before going to bed at night. Get a battery alarm clock and battery radio if desired at night and keep a flashlight handy. Don’t forget that the fixtures in the ceiling are often on a different breaker circuit or fuse than the wall plugs. They both need to be cut off. If desired, you can buy a remote breaker cut-off switch for about $250.00 that can turn off your bedroom electricity from anywhere in the house circuit when desired (see Enviratest Link).
The dimmer switch, or dimmer lamp, puts out a strong pulsing, choppy field when it is used, affecting every wall plug in the circuit they are in.. Best to only have dimmer switches in areas where you do not spend much time…definitely a no-no in sleeping, reading and office areas.
Note that there is an electromagnetic field in and around equipment when it is operating, however the electrical field is in the wires all the time any time the electrical device is plugged in… the only way it can be eliminated/reduced is to use a three wire shielded and grounded cord, or pull the plug. Any metal, which is not grounded, in lamp or appliance will pick up and radiate the electrical field all the time, like an antenna! This is easily demonstrated with the electrical field component of the “Buzz Stick” (See BEM Publication)
Use hairdryers and cell phones as little as possible. Stay at least 4 feet from your TV screens and be sure sleeping areas –the head of a bed– is not on other side of wall from back of TV, refrigerator or metal pipes — the magnetic field goes right through the wall!
Stay a good arms length back from your computer monitor… the biggest computer monitor screen you can afford the better, so you can keep your distance (17″ or bigger). The field in back of your computer monitor is the strongest, so avoid having anyone working or sleeping in back of an operating computer monitor or regular TV. Take frequent breaks, preferably out-of-doors, when working long hours at the computer. For those who are electrically hypersensitive (EHS), special transparent screens (about $40-$60) for electrical field grounding (radiation shielding) and glare reduction are available from office supply and computer stores to put on the front of your monitor. Overall, the best solution is a laptop computer (not in your lap!) with electrical field grounding screen on front of the monitor and the laptop also grounded. The labtop has practically no magnetic field and the ground screen gets rid of most of the electrical field (which will be very strong if laptop is not grounded).
Make sure bedroom or office areas are not close to high tension wires or transformers outside, and be sure the breaker box and high tension lead-in wires which come into the house are in an area that has very little long-term stationary human presence (garage or closet is best). Stay away four feet or so (‘rule of thumb’) from any operating kitchen appliance, especially the microwave.
NOTICE: LATEST CELLPHONE MICROWAVE RADIATION LEVEL INFO
For those who want up-to-date information about the microwave radiation levels (the Specific Absorbed Rate — SAR) of most of the analog and digital cell phones of the past two years. please contact website: www.SarData.com
If you need more details on cellphone long-term health effects, please purchase my BEMS publication advertised herein.